In 2009, as they exited bankruptcy, a large employer chose to terminate Medicare benefits for its union retirees. To assist these retirees in finding other sources of coverage, the employer contracted with a national Medicare Coordinator that specialized in guiding seniors via an out-of-town telephone call center. The retirees had the option to use this service or to find an individual Medicare solution on their own. The retirees desired a more personalized service from the Union that would provide them with one-on-one guidance and high touch enrollment support.
That’s where MB Senior Solutions came in! The confusion about Medicare amongst the Union retirees and their desire for more personalized services prompted the Union to partner with us. Through our RetireMed™ program, the retirees would have access to experts in Medicare who could assist them in choosing the right health plan for their needs.
At no cost to the retiree or the Union, we provided each retiree and spouse with the following services:
– Group education meetings reviewing the basics of Medicare
– A detailed analysis of their health care needs
– A tailored plan recommendation provided by a Benefit Advisor in a one-on-one meeting
– Enrollment application support including submission to the insurance companies
– Verification of successful enrollment
– Year-round Client Advocacy support from a team of highly trained customer service specialists
– Annual review of health coverage to ensure the retiree’s Medicare plan continues to meet their needs in the coming year.
And The Results Are…
MB Senior Solutions conducted educational meetings at local union halls throughout Ohio and Benefit Advisors met with approximately 12,000 retirees and helped over 9,800 of them enroll in a Medicare plan. As of the end of 2012, MBSS had retained over 97 percent of those retirees who enrolled with them.